There is more than one program or source for being certified as a Minority-Owned Business (sometimes referred to as a “disadvantaged business”). Deciding which programs to select should relate to current customer markets, as well as future desired markets. It may be advantageous to be certified with several or all of the programs described.
Benefits to operating as a certified business:
- Expanded contracting opportunities;
- Added advantages when competing for contracts with public and private sector entities;
- Entities who choose to do business with you are confident that their reporting of dollars spent with businesses will be verifiable and credible.
Applicable programs to Oklahoma include:
- The National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
- Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT)
- Federal Contracting and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Oklahoma Department of Commerce (Commerce)
- City of Tulsa’s Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Program
Preferred Tribal Vendor or Supplier Programs
- Chickasaw Nation Preferred Vendor Program
- Choctaw Nation Preferred Supplier Program